Saturday, March 28, 2020


Worthless Check Prosecution Procedure


Notifying Receipt of Bad Check:

The merchant must send Notice and Demand for Payment of Worthless Check to the check writer via certified mail and must give the check writer seven (7) days to pay. Please click here for a Notice Template. (available soon)


Submitting Bad Check for Prosecution:

If the check is not paid by the end of the seven (7) days, the following materials will be needed for prosecution of the worthless check. This material can be submitted to the Rush County Attorney for prosecution. The following three (3) items are needed for prosecution:

•Legal or bank-issued copy of the bad check indicating the reason the check was not paid such as non-sufficient funds (NSF) or closed account.
•ORIGINAL green card from the certified mailing which serves as proof of service or attempted service or the envelope containing the Notice, if it is returned to you by the Post Office.
•A completed and notarized Affidavit of Prosecution for Check Cases for each check submitted (notaries are available in our office). Please click here for an Affidavit template. (available soon)


Address for submitting:

Bring documents supporting your bad check claim to our office or mail them to the address listed below:

Rush County Attorney's Office
P.O. Box 780
La Crosse, KS 67548

Important: Once the check has been turned over to our office for prosecution, do not accept any payment from any source to settle the worthless check without contacting the County Attorney's Office.


Rush County Attorney